High Blood Pressure
What are the risks of high blood pressure?
High blood pressure can put additional strain on several organs including; heart, blood vessels, kidneys, brain and even your eyes. Long term hypertension can lead to a number of potentially life-threatening conditions including:
- Heart attacks
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Heart disease
- Vascular dementia
- Aortic aneurysms
What are the causes of high blood pressure?
It is uncertain what can cause high blood pressure however certain lifestyle and situational circumstances increase your risk
- Obese or overweight
- Eating too much salt and not enough fruit and vegetables
- Not enough sleep
- Over the age of 65
- Do little or no exercise
- Have a relation with high blood pressure
How can I reduce high blood pressure?
Mainly lifestyle changes can affect your blood pressure:
- Cut back on alcohol
- Check and monitor your blood pressure regularly
- Lose weight (if needed)
- Reduce the amount of salt in your diet
- Try to have at least six hours of sleep