Fevers and bugs are a part of growing up, and an inevitability that all parents should be prepared for. Whilst we can’t stop our family from becoming poorly, we can make sure we are able to take the best possible care of them when they are. There are many options to consider when deciding on a thermometer for your medicine cabinet which can make your decision more difficult.
We have put together a few pointers to help you choose the right thermometer for your family.
What are my options?
Kinetik Wellbeing thermometers offer a choice of three functions for the inner ear, non-contact, and oral readings. There is no right or wrong option, but each may work better for different families. This guide will list the features of each, and explain how they might work best for different circumstances and preferences.
Inner ear thermometers
Inner ear thermometers use an infrared ray to measure the temperature of energy radiating from the eardrum. They are quick, safe, and fit comfortably into the patient’s ear, allowing you to take their temperature without having to remove any clothing or be moved around excessively – which is uncomfortable for anyone who is feeling unwell.
Digital non-contact thermometers
Digital non-contact thermometers use infra-red technology to measure temperature without making contact with the patient. When your child is unwell, the last thing you want to do is disturb their sleep, and nobody likes to be poked and prodded when they are achy with a fever – which is why so many parents find non-contact thermometers so helpful.
Non-contact thermometers are a good choice for families with more than one child because there is no need to clean or reset them between uses.
Kinetik Infrared Ear & Forehead Thermometer
A dual-function thermometer that uses infrared technology to take temperature readings from the inner ear or forehead. No probe covers are required for inner ear use.
- High Fever Alert for readings over 37.5 ͦC and unique traffic light system to show if reading is low, medium or high
- Multi-modes to measure ambient, surface, and liquid temperatures (check your child’s bedroom, bathwater, and milk)
- Backlight to help you take a reading in the dark
- 9 reading memory to help you monitor results and share with your GP or Health Visitor if needed
Andon Ihealth Infrared Digital Thermometer
The iHealth Forehead Thermometer uses infra-red technology to accurately measure temperature to within ±0.2°C. A simple to use device which gives a reading in just 1 second. Additional functionality includes a backlight so you can take temperatures at night without disturbing your little one while they sleep.
- Suitable from birth and can also be used on adults
- Hygenic, no-touch temperature readings
- Gentle vibration when readings are complete with no beeps to wake your patient
- Multi-modes to measure ambient, surface and liquid temperatures (check your child’s bedroom, bathwater, and milk)
Digital oral thermometer
The Sejoy Digital Oral Thermometer gives fast, safe, and accurate oral temperature readings. It emits an audible beep to signal that a temperature reading has been taken.
- Accurately measures temperature to within ±0.1°C
- Automatic fever alarm for temperature readings of 37.8 ͦC or higher
- Automatically stores last reading in its memory
- Automatic shut-off to prolong battery life
What to do if your baby has a fever – First Aid Advice
Something you may not know about Kinetik Wellbeing is our unique partnership with the nation’s leading First Aid Charity, St John Ambulance. We share a passion to help empower families to look after their health – by monitoring, measuring and managing health at home and understanding how to tackle a first aid emergency. When your baby has a fever or high temperature, it can be very worrying – so understanding the appropriate action to take is both helpful and important.
To ensure you are prepared, watch this St John Ambulance Video Tutorial on What to do if your baby has a fever – you can find this, and lots of other important first aid advice for the whole family on their website.
It’s your choice
The Kinetik Wellbeing Online Store has information on our entire Thermometry Range – as well as helpful videos and Frequently Asked Questions – to help you decide which style of thermometer is right for your family.